I’ve had a little bit of time to let this all sink in. I swing from telling myself this really just sucks to telling myself “Good Lord, woman! Pull yourself together! It’s just a cat!”
Last night, I didn’t finally go to bed until way past midnight, but that has been the normal occurrence with me lately, even before this whole fiasco. When I finally did go to bed, I opened my bedroom window, as is the habit because that is where he likes to stand, perched on his cat tree and staring out into the night.
I laughed at myself and turned to go to bed. As I laid down, I patted the mattress. *pat..pat* as is the custom when I’m telling him I’m in bed now and he can jump up with me, but only if he wants. Most of the time he never does.
Then I cried….I cried and cried. I cried because I knew I finally could. The Boy was asleep and wouldn’t see me. That kid was actually pretty strong when we said goodnight to him last night and left him at the hospital.
But I cried and I thought things like “that dumb cat…” and “it’s JUST A CAT!”
Maybe he is just a cat, but he is still flesh and blood. I saw his xrays. I saw his organs and bones. That was actually pretty neat. He has a functioning brain. However, being flesh and blood means, he gets diseases and apparently kidney disease is pretty common.
Tonight, at 5:00 pm, I will rush out of work to go pick up The Boy then rush to the Hospital and visit with him. The Boy wanted us to bring his toy mouse, which is sitting in my car right now. Then it will be goodbye’s again and I repeat that for the next three days.
The bright side is that Kidney Disease is treatable and he wasn’t given a death sentence. He will need to take medications or I will probably have to give him at home fluid therapy, something I will have to learn how to do. I’m also going to need to put him on a special diet, all of which will be explained to me better when I pick him up but I have done some reading on this and I am kind of aware of what I will have to do to treat him.
The grand total for yesterday, after the physical exam, the blood work, urine tests and after the 60% down for his 3 night hospital stay was about $650 I needed to pay up front. When I pick him up Friday, I’ll need to pay the other 40%. Luckily, for me, my step-grandmother would have nothing of it when she heard me telling my mother that I couldn’t do that and was just going to take whatever medications I could afford and bring him back home. She told my mother to charge it on her Care Credit card and I’ll be paying her back in payments. She also has an 8 year old orange tabby and is a huge cat lover. She almost flipped her lid when I said I couldn’t get him hospitalized to get the IV fluids in him to hydrate him again. Believe me…you do NOT want to have a little old Cuban woman scolding you in Spanish. It can be very intimidating. I took her offer.
So, I feel a bit guilty that I possibly couldn’t have afforded to keep him in the hospital to get his IV and that I had to borrow a large chunk of money to get him hospitalized but I’ll be paying her back and they know I’m good for it. Fitting payments into my budget is a lot better for me than just shelling out almost $1000 for this whole thing, at once.
I wished that I could have a back up credit card or something for things like this. I can’t afford to keep a savings because I live paycheck to paycheck and no company will even give me a credit card because I have 2 BK’s on my record. So, I am a bit worried about whether I will be able to keep up with the cost of his medications.
But I’m going to try not to think about that. I just want these next three days to go by quickly, mostly for The Boy’s sake.
I swear, I am going to be in a horrific state when that cat does die. My kid held it together better yesterday than I did when we were saying goodbye to him. I’m such an emotional freak of nature sometimes.